CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 3, 2009

Pickles



My mother is visiting from Minnesota, so I decided that we should make a batch of pickles while she was here. I remember my grandmother doing the same, so I wanted to create those memories for my children.
My kids love pickles, ever since they were babies, even before they had teeth.
I invited Jen and kids to join us as well.
Let's see if I saved any money making my own pickles. (plus a day activity for the kids)
Pickling cucumbers 14.5 lbs, $7.18
Dill $7.90 ( I have enough dill left over to make another batch of pickles, but I'll include the price for the entire amount)
Jar lids $1.50
more jars $7.50 (I can reuse these forever, unless they are broken during moving or remodeling... it happens)
Salt $1.00 (estimate)
Vinegar $1.00 (estimate)
garlic $0.35

Total supplies and ingredients
$26.43
Made 16 quarts of dill pickles for $1.65 a jar.
Not bad. The "good" pickles that I saw in the refrigerator section of the market was over $7.00 for a quart. Whoa. Even the small jar of store brand pickles were on sale for $2.50.
I didn't think that I would actually save any money doing this. My plan was just to pass a memory to my children.
Too bad that I need to wait 2 weeks to taste them.


Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment