CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 24, 2009

Thankful for Dr. Laura ?!?

I know it sounds crazy but today I am thankful for Dr. Laura.

My husband and I want a fourth child. We have put a lot of thought into this decision for over five years. (My husband even had a vasectomy reversal.) We had a miscarriage last month and since then I have had many doubts. Am I meant to have another baby? Was this a "sign"? Can we handle another child? Can we afford another child? what about all those childless couples wanting a baby? Do I want to get up again in the middle of the night? Is there too big of an age gap between the youngest and potential newborn (7 years maybe 8)? Will my other children suffer? Aren't I already messing up the first three? It's been 7 years since my last one? Am I being selfish? Am I pushing the envelope? The list can go on and on ....

Soooo.....Today I was running errands and I turned on the car and heard Dr. Laura tell a man that it didn't matter how far apart his children were the only fact that matters is if he was willing to be a parent to another child he and his wife would bring into this world. That's all I heard but if there was a light bulb above my head it would have gone off. I felt tears spring to my eyes and my stomach flip. I wanted to shout out loud. I am willing to be a parent again. I want to do it. I'd do anything for a chance. Wasn't that my answer that I have been looking for? My husband and I are more than willing to love and care for another human being. We want to add to our family. I realized that I am not selfish. I am not taking away from anyone who doesn't have a child. My other children will not suffer. Their lives will all be enriched. I AM WILLING TO BE A PARENT AGAIN.
That was it. Just those couple sentences made a difference to me. All my worries are just worries. I do not have to justify or articulate my desire to have another baby to anyone. I am going to follow my heart and for all of that I am thankful to Dr. Laura. Who would have guessed?
Jen


*linked to Finer Things Friday: Bedtime Prayers*

2 comments:

  1. I am firmly convinced that one of the greatest gifts we give our children is their siblings.

    We're praying for a fourth, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 14 year gap between my second and my third child. The only thing that is hard about the gap is answering questions from strangers. Everything else is pure joy!

    ReplyDelete