CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 19, 2009

Free Parenting Programs

I was standing in line at the market, my 6-month-old first-born child in the Bjorn on my chest, and a nice lady in line mentioned Glendale College’s Parent Ed program to me. I had never heard of it. She said how she had participated in the program with all of her now grown children.
I looked into it. By now, I have taken many of the classes, from infant to 3-4 year old, and they are great. Not to mention, that they are free. Yes, FREE.
The classes usually begin with playtime for the children, then story time or music time, arts and crafts, class snack and parent discussion. Parent discussion can be anything from potty training to choosing a preschool. Classes are usually 2-3 hours long and meet once a week.
I am most familiar with the classes at Glendale College, but I know moms that have attended a similar program at Pasadena City College. Check your local college to see if one is available in your area. Ask is they have a parent education program.
Many of the classes fill quickly. I was on the waiting list for a while when I first inquired, but I did eventually find a spot.
If you are new to the area, it is a great way to meet other parents and playmates. I have met great friends that would have never met without attending GCC.

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment