CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grilled Jalapeno Poppers - WFMW


I've been reading the different Works for Me Wednesday posts for a while now, but this is the first time that I have my own WFMW. Yea!
The special theme this week is "Summer Recipe Edition"
Truth be told, I use this recipe any month of the year because it's SoCal. When is it not time to fire up the grill?
This is a favorite of mine as an appetizer while I'm waiting for everything else to be finished cooking... or just as a snack (frozen margarita optional).


OK, 3 ingredients, easy peasy;
  1. fresh jalapeno peppers (however many you want)
  2. cream cheese, flavored(such as chive), or add your own seasoning, or just plain-it's up to you
  3. bacon

Since this is a blog about frugality, here is my cost breakdown for these 25 (more or less) jalapeno poppers;
peppers, 65 cents
2 packages of cream cheese, $3.98
1 package bacon $3.99
Cheaper than the store-bought version of poppers, and much tastier.


Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator to soften.

Clean the jalapenos by slicing off the top of the pepper and then removing all of the seeds and as much of the ribs as you can without destroying the pepper. The seeds and ribs contain the pain heat, so leave a little in if you like things really spicy.
and please, do as I say, not as I do, and wear gloves when cleaning the peppers. If you itch your eye, any time in the next 12 hours after cleaning the peppers you will be sorry. I was.



Once the cream cheese is softened, put it into a sturdy zipper bag, snip off one corner and pipe the cream cheese into each pepper.


Now it's time to wrap the bacon around the pepper to seal the cheese in the pepper. I find it easiest to lay the bacon across the open portion of the pepper, covering the cheese with at least an inch overhang or "tail" of bacon on the end. Then, begin wrapping the bacon around the pepper, covering up the tail end of the bacon and encircling the pepper in bacon.

Is your grill preheated? If not, do so, or the bacon will stick and you will just have a mess on your hands.
Place the bacon-wrapped peppers on the grill. it helps to have the loose end of the bacon on the bottom so as it begins cooking it cooks together instead of unraveling. Don't fool around with these too much or they can unravel. Don't be tempted to roll them around constantly. Move them only 2-3 times to get all the sides of bacon nice and crisp. Using tongs, remove them when the bacon is cooked to your liking. Let them sit for a few minutes to cool. Eat. enjoy.

You may notice that I don't have any photos of these cooking, or completed. I can explain.
I usually whip up a small batch of these, say 5-10. This time I made over double that because I was having a lot of guests over for my son's birthday party. (The poppers were for the parents, not the 3 year olds)
I learned a few things:
  1. Use my regular, center-cut bacon that is less fatty. If the store is out of it, try turkey bacon or something.
  2. Don't grill more than 5 at a time.
  3. Bacon contains a LOT of grease
  4. Grease can produce flames that are over a foot high
  5. The firefighter at your party may laugh at you
  6. Always keep water nearby when grilling.
  7. My BIL's will eat anything (they're bachelors and like home-cooking even if it is flame-grilled)
For more WFMW- Summer Recipe Edition ideas, check HERE

Sue

4 comments:

  1. My husband loes jalapenos. This looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great except for the bacon ~ I love the breaded ones, but never thought I could make them! And lol at the firefighter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making more this weekend, since I am craving them now after typing this post. I'll try not to learn any new things.

    ReplyDelete